I am excited to announce that I will be offering limited acupuncture business coaching services to acupuncturists and Chinese herbalists once again! This time around, my wife and business partner Amanda Barp, LMT, will add her expertise to the mix – meaning you get two coaches for the price of one!
We are offering coaching services to acupuncturists, herbalists, massage therapists and other holistic healthcare practitioners who are seeking to build resonant and resilient businesses.
Please explore the information below to learn if our coaching opportunities are right for you, and whenever you are ready – submit your application.
We look forward to meeting you!
Who do we work with?
The reasons for choosing to work with a business coach are diverse! Most of the people who I’ve worked with in the past have been in one of the following general situations:
- They’re starting up their acupuncture clinics, and need guidance
- They’ve reached a major milestone in their business and are looking at next steps to maximize the opportunities
- They are at some crisis point with their acupuncture practice and are hoping for clarity
- They are approaching someone to join as a partner, or are considering selling their acupuncture practice
These situations benefit from the external perspective and consistent support that a business coach brings.
You’ll notice our materials mostly use “acupuncture business coaching” as a catch-all, but our own clinic is much more than that. We are excited to partner with any holistic medical provider or movement studio owner, but have worked most with acupuncturists, Chinese herbalists, massage therapists and yoga studios. We are adept at advising people who are solo practitioners or have small clinics with 15 or fewer practitioners.
We are, perhaps for obvious reasons, particularly well suited to work with business partners who have multiple layers of relationship – whether that’s marriage, life partnership, friendship or something else. We also have a particular affinity for working with people who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community and anyone seeking to integrate care for underrepresented populations into their practice.
Who are we?
We have been in business together since 2009 when we founded Watershed Wellness. We’ve since built it into a profitable business that is a benefit to the community and all that work within it, and it is getting better every day. It wasn’t always easy – in fact most of the time it’s been a struggle – but our primary super power is we never fail to learn the lessons that our business is trying to teach us. That super power can now be used to help you, since we know all the wrong ways to do so many things. And a few right ways as well.
You can learn a lot about our story by checking out the four part series I wrote about my background and Watershed Wellness’ history. Part 1 covers my young life & University training. Part 2 looks at medical school and the early days of WW. Part 3 takes a little diversion to discuss my teaching career. Finally, in Part 4, we discuss the more recent history of the clinic and our move to Astoria, OR.
And read any of the sections below to learn more about our approach to coaching and how the coaching relationship works through Deepest Health.
What’s our approach to acupuncture business coaching?
Few clients with high resonance
- We take only a few clients so we can ensure that we have the time and energy to serve you.
- We have a long application process “measure twice, cut once” so that fit is all but ensured. Nobody has time and money to waste on a poor fit!
Commitment and accountability
- We use tools for accountability that work best for you. The goal is to work with your natural motivational tendencies to help your business.
- While we like to hold a strong focus on getting things done between coaching sessions, we also recognize that life is large and doesn’t always go according to plan. Flexibility and grace is available.
- That said – all parties need to be on board with the coaching relationship for the best work to get done.
Holistic and systematic focus
- Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and treating complex problems like they are simple is a recipe for disaster!
- We will do a full systemic analysis of your business at the outset of our initial coaching engagement and give you a basic “diagnosis” from our perspective in several areas. You can learn more about business systems, in the way we use them, starting with this first part of a series on the topic.
- We will not just focus on “the business.” You as “chief executive” of your acupuncture practice are more than the spreadsheets and websites and business cards! Discussing your personal situation, your emotions and experiences, and integrating that into our work on your business is inevitable. This doesn’t mean we’ll get nosy – you will be in the driver’s seat at all times.
Fun, humor & joy are business tools
We are fun-loving people who have found that laughter is often a potent tool in helping us cope with the sometimes challenging life of holistic medical business. While we’re often focusing on “problems” in acupuncture business coaching, we also look as much as possible to show you what’s going right, encourage you to build on those successes, and celebrate them with you.
Life’s too short to be mad about business.
What are the coaching options?
We only do packages of sessions with new clients, rather than single sessions. We find this to be far more effective, as we can work on an issue over time – checking in and troubleshooting your situation as it develops. You can choose from either 5 or 10 sessions, depending on the complexity and intensity of the problem you are facing.
Every package includes the Zoom-based coaching sessions, as well as:
Customized program and follow-through
- The coaching engagement always starts with a robust research process on our part.
- Every package is unique and tailored for you. No two practices need the same approach. If you want more time between sessions, we’ll make it happen. If you prefer a more intensive engagement, we’ll discuss options.
- We make adjustments as needed during the course. Again, we are human and life happens, so if how we start isn’t working – we’ll adjust.
- After your initial package, there are options for further coaching, and we will happily engage with you via email for limited follow-up for 6 months after your package concludes. You can read more about that in the sections below.
Supportive content and acupuncture business coaching community
- Depending on your situation, you may receive free access to Deepest Health courses and other paid materials for the duration of your acupuncture business coaching engagement.
- We will always seek to provide you materials to help enhance our conversations and guide your work between sessions. This may include Deepest Health content, but will also include books and other media elsewhere.
- You will have access to our free online community, hosted through Mighty Networks. This is a private social network with robust features similar to the corporate social networks that is only for Deepest Health friends & supporters. There you can ask questions, get inspired by your colleagues and share your successes.
Easy access to your coaches
- You will also receive your own special space on the Deepest Health community website to support our coaching relationship. There is where you will ask questions between sessions, share your completed materials, and otherwise interact with us – your coaches.
- We will give you multiple options to contact us, including urgent methods should something come up between sessions.
Availability of hands-on work on your finances and your website
All coaching clients have the option of adding on specialized services to their package. These services are more hands-on and intensive, for folks who need a bit of extra support.
- Amanda will do hands-on work with people’s financial records and other aspects of the financial system, including helping you learn Quickbooks. Note that Amanda is not an accountant and is not Quickbooks certified. She will advise you as a business owner who has extensive experience in these matters.
- Eric will do hands-on work with you to help you establish productivity and organizational systems so you can do your executive work more efficiently.
- These intensive additions can be discussed during the onboarding process at client request and are not included in the price of the basic coaching package. The hourly rate for these services is $125.
All of this is included in both 5 and 10 session packages. The expense can be paid in one or two payments, and at least one payment must be made prior to beginning the first session.
- 5 sessions : $1000
- 10 sessions : $2000
What is the process?
If you’re interested in pursuing a coaching relationship with us, simply fill out the online application, linked here. We will review your application and get back to you within 3 business days with questions and thoughts.
At that point, in most cases, we’ll schedule a preliminary call so you can ask all of your questions and everyone can assess if it is a good fit.
Once everyone agrees it’s time to move forward, we’ll settle the payment and session scheduling details, and get you through an onboarding process that will help us all start to get on the same page. We like to do as much research as we can up front so we can hit the ground running.
If after reviewing your application, we ultimately feel that we aren’t the right fit for you, we will do our best to make suggestions as to other options that might work better for you!
Use the form below to ask any questions you have about Deepest Health coaching. We get back to people within 2 business days. You can also reach out on Twitter, Instagram, or the Deepest Health community (registration required).