As medical practitioners, we agree to enter into a life of learning. The life of a scholar has long been a central part of the practice of Chinese medicine in particular. Learning ever more about herbs, acupuncture, pathology, physiology, other treatment techniques, the cases of famous doctors, and the various aspects of internal cultivation simply comes with the territory.
So, we decided to devote this issue to the topic of study. What does it mean to study? How should we study? Why?
Taking information from students and practitioners, we offer several engaging articles that will help you consider your life of learning from different perspectives. You will also feel engaged by the beautiful artwork throughout the issue – if you buy a print version, we encourage you to rip out the pages and stick them in your favorite study spot!
What’s in the magazine?
26 full color pages of information & thought provoking imagery, including:
- “Essential Studies in Chinese Medicine,” by Michael Givens, LAc, addresses how we come to an understanding of where to focus our studies as we seek to be better practitioners. Yes, finding somewhere to focus is KEY!
- Eugene Lee explores the relationship of artistic pursuits and medical knowledge in his article, “Chinese Medicine and the Creative Arts : More than a Luxury.”
- In “The Things We Do For Points,” Acutakehealth.com editor Sara Calabro asks us to consider what’s more difficult – learning Swedish or learning acupuncture? The answer may surprise you!
- Frequent CMQ contributor Stephanie Irzyk, DOM, takes us on a learning odyssey with her engaging article, “Study in Chinese Medicine – Going Beyond the Books.” In it, she discusses the relationship between book learning and other, perhaps deeper, forms of education.
- Finally, an article by founder Eric Grey digging into how we can use our sensing, animal bodies to learn Chinese herbs more deeply in an article titled, “Combining the Rational with the Intuitive when studying Chinese herbs.”
- And, as with our last issue, mind altering artwork from Eugene Lee. The price of the magazine is justified for the artwork alone!
The magazine is in PDF format, viewable on any computer and many digital devices that read PDFs. We also have the issue available in a beautiful print format at a higher cost. See below for details.
Why should you join the community of Chinese Medicine Quarterly readers?
Hundreds of people have bought issues of Chinese Medicine Quarterly have enjoyed the quality information, beautiful imagery, and inspiring feeling of being part of something new. While that last part might not seem like much of a benefit, give it some thought. We spend so much time studying, so much time working patient cases & dealing with mountains of paperwork.
Sometimes, it can be easy to lose center and feel like a disconnected, sometimes disgruntled, individual slogging on alone.
While buying Chinese Medicine Quarterly isn’t going to do your paperwork for you, nor solve your most vexing patient cases, it will make you feel like you are part of a growing, thriving profession. You will also be actively contributing to the growth of that very thing, by supporting independent scholarship & the many projects currently being cooked up at Deepest Health.
Each digital PDF issue is $4.99. We do not yet have a subscription option. If you’re ready to purchase – simply use one of the buttons below to add it to your secure shopping cart. After completing your order, you will have immediate access to the issue.
PRINT VERSION AVAILABLE!
If you’re interested in buying a print version you can do so by clicking this link or clicking on the issue image below. The print issues are truly striking in appearance, and give you that satisfying heft and weight that only a print publication can offer.
The cost for the print version is considerably higher to account for printing and shipping costs, however it comes with a free digital copy as well. The Magcloud service also allows you to view the issue through their iPad application.
Thank you for supporting independent Chinese medicine scholarship!